Celebrate

Coreopsis, also known as tickseed. Photographed near the trailhead
at Stevens Creek Heritage Preserve, McCormick County, SC. 
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.

He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell,
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well.
(from the Anglican hymn by Cecil Francis Alexander)

I think of this hymn as a child's hymn, maybe because it's so simple and conveys a sense of wonder that might even provoke a sneer from a more cynical person. But seriously, even the most humble little flowers, like this coreopsis, growing near a back road in South Carolina, make it hard not to feel that same sense of wonder at God's amazing creation. And because I'm my nature-loving self, I feel the need to celebrate wildflowers by snapping pictures of them and sharing them with you.

Comments

  1. I hereby testify that: 1) I posted my blog entry before I read this one, and 2) Nina wrote this one before I wrote mine. We just happen to be great minds that think alike. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment