Music

For long ago, in the days of David and Asaph, there had been directors for the musicians and for the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God. (Nehemiah 12:46)

Five chapters before this verse in Nehemiah, we learn that there were 148 musicians in Nehemiah's rebuilt Jerusalem. There is a whole verses there, just for the musicians!

When I read Nehemiah for the first time, I was struck by the importance of the musicians, and of music, to God. There are countless verses throughout the Bible that underscore how vital the musicians were to the Israelites--and then of course, we have an entire book of music lyrics in Psalms.

I like thinking that God holds music and musicians in such high esteem. Music is definitely important to me. I apparently have several dozen pictures of sheet music on my phone, and even more pictures of my piano, Henry.
A measure from a fugue I was working on last year. I sometimes take pictures to share
with a piano technique forum online, generally when I have questions fingering.
My piano, Henry. In the background are my guitars: Jessie, Nick, Fred, and Waylon.

Comments