Celebrate/Half-Empty/Half-Full

"Drive in" service on Sunday, June 7.
All my longings lie open before you, Lord;
my sighing is not hidden from you. (Psalm 38:9)

Our church had "drive in" service on Sunday. We didn't go; Dan and Anne slept in, so I watched the video on my phone instead.

Things are all just very weird now. People are protesting in the streets all across America, shoulder to shoulder, yet we still have to do this strange setup of cars distanced in a parking lot, listening to the pastor on a radio dial. There were streaming issues with the new setup (of course), so I ended up scrolling Twitter instead, resolving to watch the service after they released an issue-free version. (They did this yesterday, but I haven't watched it yet.)

To think that, just a few months ago, going to church on Sunday morning was pretty much non-negotiable for our family.

I am definitely feeling a sense that I'm "growing away" from my church family, since I haven't seen them in so long. I'm not happy about this. We're still relatively new to that community, and I'd begun growing close to people, but we weren't quite there yet, if that makes any sense. And now we're isolated from church, the whole church is isolated from each other, even as isolation is no longer a thing in all other areas of our lives. This past Sunday, we didn't even have our small group/Sunday School because of the drive-in service. I missed the week before, and we didn't meet for Memorial Day weekend ... so I'm missing my people.

My feeling right now is one of half-emptiness--which is odd, considering what good spirits I've been in for most of the pandemic. But today, on a day that I'm missing friends and fellowship, and the first day since this all started that my family hasn't gathered around the screen to "do church" together ... I'm feeling a little bereft.

Comments