Kitchen

This is our kitchen now, but it was not the kitchen that came with the house. We did a total gut on that kitchen--floors, cabinets, counters, sink, stovetop, dishwasher, oven and microwave. We even redid parts of the attached breakfast room. 

It was an inconvenient process. The first few weeks, when the sink was out of commission, we ate out a lot but as that started getting very expensive (we are a family of 6!), I had to make the choice to buy pre-made food from the grocery store and eat in. I couldn't bear to use disposable stuff so I said we would use the hose and the little Fisher Price picnic table and wash the dishes outdoors.

This sounds a lot easier than it is. Transporting the heavy dishes outdoors--with what? I used a pail initially, but the weight of the dishes broke the pail handle and a lot of dishes spilled onto the floor and broke. This was terrible. I then used dishpans and carried them from the bottom outdoors. 

Then there was the process of washing them. The hose is not an ideal tool for washing dishes. The ability to turn the water on and off easily and at will is not available. We had one of those sprayer guns but this sprays water like a gun! Water everywhere. But taking it off meant that I had to run back and forth to the spigot to turn the water on and off, or just let the water run. And no drain--so the water and all the rinsed out gunk from the dishes just sat in a muddy pool by the Fisher Price picnic table. Then I had to carry--in several trips--all the cleaned dishes back. The lack of hot water also made me wonder how clean the dishes actually were.

So my next experiment was to try washing the dishes in the tub. We have one room with a tub on the first floor. I carried--using the dishpan! I learned my lesson with the pail!--all the dirty dishes to the tub. You can imagine the issues here. More comfortable, since it was indoors. Hot water available. Faucet available. Those problems were solved. But there still issues. It is a tub drain, not meant to handle all the gunk that comes from dirty dishes. And then there was the back pain from bending over doing dishes and the knee pain from kneeling and doing dishes. 

Apart from the dishwashing was the realization that we use the kitchen sink all the time. Dust on my hands? Rinse off at the kitchen sink. Eating an apple? Rinse off at the kitchen sink. Lots of running to the kitchen sink for quick little trips requiring clean water.

Suffice it to say--this process of remodeling a kitchen was no fun. I'd never been so grateful for a kitchen sink.

Anyway--our kitchen is wonderful now. 

When I became a follower of Christ, I had to gut my old life and ways. Everything had to go--not a thing could stay. The process of transforming the old me to the new me was inconvenient and painful. It still is. But I love the remodeled life I have in Christ. I love the new me and I keep gutting any lingering aspects of the old me because I only want to have Christ inside.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ,the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!"--2 Corinthians 5:17



Comments