6:00 p.m.

For the past almost-three years, two days a week, 6 p.m. saw me at ATA, watching my daughter train in taekwondo.
One-on-one training with Mr. H.

She's decided she doesn't want to do taekwondo anymore. So, after her August 27 testing, she'll be done. Our three-year contract ends in September, so we're allowing her to move on.

Taekwondo has been really good for her, and we've made a lot of friends through this activity. I'm going to miss the people, and I'm going to miss the joy of watching her get stronger and more capable at martial arts. She got her black belt recently, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

At the same time, I've watched over the past year as she's lost her passion for taekwondo. We still go, and she still does the work, but her heart has not been in it for some time. She wants to try other things; right now she's begging for horseback-riding lessons.

I don't know if we'll be able to do the horse thing. If we are, I don't know if she'll like horseback-riding as much as she thinks she will. I'd like to allow her the opportunity, though. We've looked into it, and she would go once a week (to start with), from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

So if we do this, I'll be spending my 6 p.m.'s sitting in my car, reading, glancing up occasionally to how things are going with daughter and horse. I can live with that.

This picture was taken awhile back, at one of her private lessons. We've missed seeing all of our taekwondo friends in recent months as classes have gone online, and we'll miss taekwondo come September. But I'm looking forward to whatever 6 p.m. adventure is next.

Comments