Yellow

My favorite color when I was a kid was yellow. I always liked how pictures are always brighter once you add a splash of yellow. So I liked adding yellow to my pictures, and things working the way they always work when you're a kid, once you say that you like "yellow" then, that becomes your "favorite" and then you feel obligated to pick yellow for everything, and others feel obligated to pick yellow for you. My mom bought me yellow clothes, which everyone would then say, "oh, that's your favorite color, it looks so cute on you!" Or I'd get the yellow backpack, the yellow pencil holder, the notebook with the yellow cover. I'd notice things like Curious George and The Man in the Big Yellow Hat and I'd try to eat mustard because it was yellow.

I made the break from yellow in college when someone told me that I looked good in black. And I have worn black or almost all black ever since. I *never* wear yellow anymore, nor do I pick it for anything.

But yellow is still the color of my childhood, the color of all the highlighters I used in school, the bright sunny color.

 “‘On one of these journeys I was going to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. About noon, King Agrippa, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’
‘Then I asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’
 ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’” —Acts 26: 12-18


Comments

  1. I almost never wear black, or white. Several years ago, I went through my closet and got rid of nearly all my black and white because I rarely wore them, and I never liked wearing them.

    I'm with purple the way you were with yellow as a child. I nearly always have on something purple. And yes, it is my favorite color. Particularly when paired with ... yellow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment