Dancing

Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances. (Maya Angelou)

I'm not a great dancer, but I do enjoy dancing, if the music is good. Back in the 90's, "Eighties Night" was always big fun; my friends and I would go and dance for hours and hours. When Scout was little, we danced all the time. I'd put on some Glenn Miller, and we'd cut a rug, my toddler and I. Every now and then, our little family breaks out the disco ball, works up a sweat, and forgets the stresses of the day. We started this little tradition back in the Dawn of the Age of COVID (last March). School had switched to Learn from Home, my husband had shut down the office and sent his employees home to work, and I'd just lugged my desktop computer home from the office and set it up in the music room.

We were all stressed, scared, and uncertain about who was going to get sick, who was going to die, and how long this weird time would last.

So we decided some dancing would do us all good, and it did. We ended up compiling a Spotify playlist with songs that we each contributed. Scout's favorite dance music is from "The Greatest Showman," Dan's is from the 60s and 70s, and mine is from the 80s. (And the 40s. Glenn Miller Forever.) Also, anything and everything from "Grease."

We had a few dance parties during quarantine, and we've had a couple since. Life's been a little stressful lately, so maybe it's time for another one.

Scout's disco ball, which has Bluetooth and flashes/changes the lights
in time to whatever song is playing

The first few songs on our Spotify playlist.


Comments