Food

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:40)

Banana Bread and Pumpkin Bread

Yesterday we served at a local ministry that helps the homeless. Dan and I made a couple of breakfast casseroles, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, banana bread, and pumpkin bread. I picked up some pre-cut fruit from Kroger that morning, and, concerned that we still wouldn't have enough food, we got a couple dozen donuts from Dunkin' on our way to the ministry (plus two for Scout's breakfast).

Ready to Serve!

Well, there was plenty of food. In fact, they had enough left over to help with tomorrow's breakfast.

Today in our 3:16 class, we talked about obedience, and about finding joy in obedience. I think one of the signs of a changed heart is that you do take joy in obeying God, in following his will, particularly when it means doing something you wouldn't typically want to do.

Waking up early, getting all of this food ready (there's no stove or oven at the ministry), and driving 35 minutes to get there in time to serve breakfast ... that's not something I would typically feel like doing on a Saturday morning. But when I woke up Saturday at 5 a.m., I felt strangely happy. I was going to serve people, and hopefully reflect the light of Christ in my kindness. I don't know if I did; if nothing else, we helped provide a warm, tasty, and mostly healthy meal for hungry people.

I know I have a changed heart--no doubt about it. I enjoyed volunteer work before I ever became a true follower of Jesus, but it's different now. It's not just about making people happy or helping people or making myself feel good. It's about honoring God and doing for others in real time the things that He has done for me. Helping others now is, in a way, an expression of gratitude for His blessings. I pray that, in the process, I will bring blessing to others.

Comments